Monday, April 02, 2007

Torrijas!

It's Semana Santa here in España (that would be Easter Week for you non-Spanish speakers) and what's on the menu? Torrijas! Torrijas are French toast, Spanish style. Meaning made with olive oil. That's right, instead of frying the milk- and egg-soaked bread in butter, you drop it into a pan of hot olive oil.

I helped my boyfriend's mother make them yesterday morning. She had three bowls: milk, egg, and cinnamon-sugar. She dipped the day-old bread into the milk bowl, then the egg, and then the oil-filled pan. When the bread had turned a lovely golden color, she dunked it into the cinnamon-sugar bowl and covered it with the stuff. I ate the leftovers this morning with bananas and strawberries on the side. ¡Qué rico!

4 comments:

Raronauer said...

The Minimalist just did a piece on Torrijas. You can see a video of him making them here:
http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=3cbf232d0baa56c89fb0cfd93a208e56c60e3c84

Katie said...

thanks for that, dude--i had no idea!

leftbanker said...

I love your photos.

It almost feels like blasphemy to use butter instead of olive oil here. When I do, I have to explain to my Spanish friends that it's the French side of my family that's doing the cooking for this particular dish.

Oh boy, another food-related holiday. I'll either need more will-power or bigger pants.

Anonymous said...

I love torrijas! The other day in my neighborhood i saw a sign that said "Las mejores torrijas de Madrid" so I went in and bought 2. At 2 euros each, they weren't cheap, but delicious. The best in Madrid? No se, but I may do some more research on that!