Monday, November 06, 2006

I voted

The Spanish mail system came through just in time. I'd been anxiously awaiting my absentee ballot for weeks and had virtually given up on its arriving today in time for me to both fill it out and postmark it before the end of business.

But I ran home in the middle of the school day to check the mail, and there it was. The doorman, to whom I'd explained the situation earlier, was exhilarated.

Who knows if my vote will count, but it's on its way back to the States.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this makes me happy

dianne said...

good for you for voting from far away! i too used an absentee ballot. and our votes seem to have helped! :) was there much partying or talk about the election there?

Katie said...

an american friend who's visiting and i were pretty psyched about it all. but no parties per se. i had an interesting class with one of my adult english students. we read a ny times new analysis of the democrats' win and what it would mean for bush, and had an discussion/explanation of american politics. people are pretty happy for us. one of my coworkers was amazed that my absentee ballot for montgomery county, maryland was bilingual (english-spanish).

Unknown said...

Hey Katie,
Just wanted to let you know I love your blog. I don't visit it nearly regularly enough but you really capture what daily life is like in Madrid. You are making me miss it more and more :(